In Finance Engineering, you’ll find an exciting confluence of computer science, finance and mathematics being used to solve for what our shareholders would like from us – a high return for the right risk taken. Engineers in Controllers Tech ensure the firm meets all of the financial control and reporting obligations of a global, regulated and public financial institution. Accomplishing this goal entails numerous activities ranging from derivatives pricing and profit and loss calculations to firm liquidity analysis to automated filings to external regulators. An ever evolving regulatory environment demands ongoing innovation to maintain scalable solutions in a changing world.
Product Accounting Reporting, and Analysis (PARA) engineers are responsible for designing and implementing systems to calculate, monitor, validate and report the firm’s profit and loss each day. The PARA system processes all the firm’s trading activity across the vast majority of product lines traded by the firm – everything from simple equities and bonds to complex structured derivatives, commodity products, loan products and more. Our team consists of 11 people in London in a team of around 60 globally, and many projects are cross-location, working closely with our business partners and other engineers across the firm.
Are you interested in learning about risk and finance or perhaps expanding what you know, while still staying close to your roots as a software engineer? As a business software engineer in the Finance & Risk Engineering organization under the Technology Division, you will have the opportunity to impact one or more aspects of risk management and financial reporting, while working in small, nimble teams to provide technical products that meet our constantly changing business needs. Our partnership with the Finance and Risk Divisions, respectively, directly correlates to Goldman Sachs’ core competencies – monitoring, measuring and reporting not only risk exposures, but also financial transactions. We engage with senior leadership across various areas of the firm, in addition to a number of divisional committees and regulatory entities. Wherever your interests fall, you will find your calling amidst our diverse mix of teams and functions.
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
• Work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment that provides exposure to all areas of Finance
• Interface with the firm’s federation and revenue producing divisions, including Finance Controllers, Finance Risk and Securities Division Management teams to understand and document requirements
• Understand business needs, facilitating and developing process workflow, data requirements, and specifications required to support implementation
• Develop technical specifications, high level/detailed design, testing strategies, and implementation plans from business requirements
• Manage end-to-end systems development cycle from requirements analysis, coding, testing, UAT and maintenance
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
• Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering or related technical discipline
• Experience in software development, including a clear understanding of data structures, algorithms, software design and core programming concepts
• Comfortable multi-tasking, managing multiple stakeholders and working as part of a team
• Excellent communication skills including experience speaking to technical and business audiences and working globally
• Expertise in Java development & Relational Databases
• Can apply an entrepreneurial approach and passion to problem solving and product development
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Interest in finance
• Strong programming experience in at least one compiled language (e.g. C, C++, Java)
• In-depth knowledge of relational and columnar SQL databases, including database design
• Experience with continuous delivery and deployment
• Proficient at working with large and complex code bases
• Comfortable working in highly dynamic and rapid development environment (Agile development experience)
• Technologies: Linux and shell scripting, TDD (JUnit), build tools (Maven/Gradle/Ant), Scala, Spark, Tableau
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Â© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2019. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.