Unix Engineering is a global team that architects and manages the Linux, Virtualization, and Server Hardware computing platform at Goldman Sachs.
The Unix engineering team works closely with application developers and strategists to build and deploy technology solutions at Goldman Sachs. The team currently supports an internal cloud platform, is developing solutions for deploying applications on public cloud offerings, and is releasing a next-generation compute platform.
The Linux System Engineer role is responsible for supporting business units' compute requirements and maintaining core infrastructure systems. This includes topics such as system configuration management, performance testing and tuning, and application and service troubleshooting. Linux System Engineers also delve into new technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, SaltStack, OpenShift and more), understanding how each can be introduced and engineered to support the continued evolution of our highly-scalable compute platform.
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
• Own and engineer the Linux compute platform at the firm
• Write tooling to automate tasks and implement/scale/test infrastructure services
• Interact regularly with internal clients and partner engineering teams across the organization
• Help evolve and integrate newer stack components like Kubernetes, OpenStack and more
• Work closely with 1st- and 2nd-level organizations to perform deeply technical troubleshooting
• Develop and implement technical solutions and process improvements to improve reliability and efficiency
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
• Hands-on experience with architecture, implementation and operation of a Linux-based compute environment
• In-depth knowledge of the Linux OS, advanced network concepts, knowledge of traditional storage platforms, firewalls, and load balancers
• Significant experience using system configuration management tools (e.g. Chef, Ansible, SaltStack, Puppet, cfengine, etc.) to manage compute infrastructure at scale
• Demonstrable experience in setting and meeting project goals when implementing and integrating complex technology concepts
• Expertise in at least one scripting and/or high level language: shell, Python, Node.js, Perl, Golang, preferably with experience using REST API interfaces
• Bachelor's Degree in a Science or Engineering program or equivalent experience
• Hands-on experience with containerization technologies and tools: OpenShift, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Kubernetes, Docker
• Software development and CI/CD tools: GIT, Subversion, Maven, Jenkins
• Experience using/developing against relational and nosql databases
• Significant exposure to the major public cloud providers (AWS, GCE and Azure)
• Familiarity with security practices and platforms (e.g. encryption, certificates, key management, oAuth, LDAP)
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Â© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2020. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.