Core Engineering provides desktop, mobile and developer environments; shared infrastructure; quality and reliability frameworks; data architectures; and technology risk services for Goldman Sachs and its 10,000+ engineers.
Within Core, the Outreach and Engagement team develops tools and processes for sharing technical information. Working with teams from across Engineering, we oversee development of the engineeringCentral knowledge platform. As curators, we ensure that key products are discoverable and well-understood, that high-quality documentation and training materials are available, and that shared practices are communicated effectively. We are growing our team of technical writers as they align with one or more Core pillars to support developers and end users. In this role, you will work with geographically distributed product teams to ensure their documentation meets the needs of the target audience through consultation, information design, and curation. You will advocate best practices and train teams to create and maintain their product documentation as we transform the firm’s documentation strategy. To be successful, you will have a clear understanding of the challenges developers face and how documentation can help resolve them.
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
• Continuously improve the firm’s technical documentation in collaboration with engineers, product managers, developer advocates, and other technical writers.
• Develop a deep understanding of products and practices in your pillar(s); ensure all product information is kept updated.
• Contribute to the improvement of the team’s style and process as we scale to support a growing product base.
• Act as a technical communications advocate and coach engineers and product managers.
• Develop documentation strategies and roadmaps; partner with engineers and product managers to author technical communications, including high-level overviews, references, examples, tutorials, and more.
• Stay abreast of developments in key products and practices and ensure enhancements are reflected in relevant materials.
• Shape the development of documentation tools and their integration into the software development environment.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
• Excellent written and oral communication abilities.
• 5+ years’ experience as a developer or developer-facing technical writer/trainer.
• Experience with Git, HTML/CSS, and at least one programming language (professional experience or otherwise).
• Familiarity with managing docs as code and working with static site generators.
• Passion for assisting developers and end users; positive team attitude and a willingness to get hands-on to resolve problems from both a content and tooling perspective.
• Ability to deliver against tight deadlines and handle multiple, competing demands. Familiarity with products in one or more Core pillars is a strong plus.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
At Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world.
We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We're committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers.
We’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/footer/disability-statement.html
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2020. All rights reserved.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity