We work at the intersection of finance and law, providing counsel and advice that support activities across the firm. We handle litigation and arbitration, perform research and due diligence, aid in financing and legal filings, deal with contracts and intellectual property rights that show our commitment to clients, shareholders, and regulators. Whether you’re an experienced attorney or a quick learner with a strong interest in financial law coupled with critical thinking skills, our dynamic group might be right for you.
The Investment Banking Division Legal Group (IBD Legal) provides legal advice and investment banking transaction execution expertise to the Firm's Investment Banking Division, including the Financing Group, worldwide. It is the mission of IBD Legal to provide high-quality legal and policy advice relating to the Firm's broad investment banking businesses and help ensure value-added execution of transactions undertaken by the Investment Banking Division while protecting the interests of Goldman Sachs. Members of IBD Legal are involved in virtually every investment banking and capital markets financing transaction and have a wide range of responsibilities, which vary in response to the needs of different product areas, industries and regions. The role of IBD Legal is dynamic, has evolved over time and is expected to continue to evolve in response to the changing needs of Goldman Sachs's many businesses.
What We Do
· Legal Advisor to the Investment Banking Division — IBD Legal acts as an internal legal advisor to the Investment Banking Division on all matters, including matters outside of the transaction execution context. The judgment and experience of IBD Legal members is highly valued, particularly in weighing legal, policy, reputational and commercial considerations. IBD Legal members are frequently called upon to provide advice and answer questions or to become involved in resolving issues or problems that arise, often in difficult situations involving extreme time pressure and client sensitivity
· Financing and Merger Transactions — Members of IBD Legal work on a broad range of securities transactions, including public and private offerings of equity and equity-related securities, investment grade and high-yield debt, municipal securities, structured financing products, tender offers, exchange offers and consent solicitations. IBD Legal also assists in reviewing and negotiating the terms of engagement letters relating to the engagement of Goldman Sachs as financial advisor on merger and other strategic transactions. In each of these roles, members of IBD Legal work closely with bankers and other professionals in the different areas of the Investment Banking Division, including the Financing Group, and other divisions, as well as with IBD Legal members from different offices. IBD Legal members also work closely with clients, outside counsel and representatives of other investment banks. The responsibilities of an IBD Legal team member vary depending on the transaction, but usually include advising on the structuring and execution of the transaction, assessing Firm legal and reputational risks, reviewing and negotiating documents, coordinating with outside counsel, identifying and resolving policy issues an! d procedural questions and resolving legal issues that arise during the course of a transaction. IBD Legal does not replace outside counsel on transactions, although IBD Legal improves the efficient use of outside counsel through effective deal management
· Policy Development, Business Practices and Training — IBD Legal members play a critical role in responding to regulatory changes and advising on business practices, policy development and implementation, training, compliance/best practices initiatives and the development of standard procedures and documentation
· New Product Development — IBD Legal assists in developing new products and transactional structures by advising on applicable law, assessing legal and regulatory risks, raising and resolving relevant legal and policy issues, assisting in coordinating appropriate areas within Goldman Sachs and acting as liaison with outside counsel and regulatory bodies. I D Legal members are also frequently involved in assisting clients and their counsel in better understanding new product transactions and their execution
· Legal Advisor to the Investment Banking Division — Playing a central role in weighing legal, policy, reputational and commercial considerations
· Financing and Merger Transactions — Working on a broad range of securities transactions, including public and private offerings of equity and equity-related securities, investment grade and high-yield debt, and structured financing products
· Policy and New Product Development, Business Practices and Training — Playing a role in responding to regulatory changes and advising on business practices, policy development and implementation, training, compliance/best practices initiatives, the development of standard procedures and documentation and the development and analysis of new products
· Lawyer with a minimum of five years of experience
· Candidates will need to demonstrate a strong grounding in securities and corporate finance law and practice
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
At Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world.
We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We're committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers.
We’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/footer/disability-statement.html
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2020. All rights reserved.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity