Playing a key role in measuring, reporting and forecasting the profitability of the firm’s complex products and services, colleagues that focus on accounting and financial planning are responsible for ensuring the firm’s financial information is accurate and comprehensive for reporting and regulatory purposes. Teams partner with business leaders to provide advice on the financial and regulatory considerations when executing business with our clients.
Accounting and financial planning teams across the firm embody strong analytical skills, attention to detail, and a desire to develop a deep understanding of financial fundamentals.
Divisions and Job Functions
Investment Banking Division works on some of the most complex financial challenges and transactions in the market today. Whether advising on a merger, providing financial solutions for an acquisition, or structuring an initial public offering, we handle projects that help clients at major milestones. We work with corporations, pension funds, financial sponsors, and governments and are team of strong analytical thinkers, who have a passion for producing out-of-the-box ideas
- Industry Group Coverage Banking works in developed and emerging markets worldwide to deliver banking services for a wide range of industries. Our team approach to client service enables our bankers to play an important role in building relationships and executing transactions. Classic investment bankers have expertise advising clients across industries, regions and products. Teams are organized by industry group, including Consumer Retail Group, Financial Institutions Group, Financial and Strategic Investors Group, Healthcare, Industrials, Public Sector & Infrastructure, Natural Resources, Real Estate, and Technology, Media and Telecom, as well as by region, country and company size as part of the Cross Markets Group
- Financing Group Coverage Banking sits within a dynamic, market-driven environment, our teams work closely with corporate clients, pension funds, financial sponsors and governments to structure and execute some of the largest and most complex financing and risk management solutions across the full product spectrum, including equity, debt and derivatives. To achieve this goal, the Financing Group comprises all Goldman Sachs’ capital markets departments, and operates on close cooperation with other areas of Investment Banking and other divisions within the firm, including Fixed Income, Currency and Commodities and Equities. Teams are organized by product group including Leveraged Finance, Equity Capital Markets, Investment Grade, Structured Finance, Corporate Derivatives and Emerging Markets.
Merchant Banking Division invests in corporate equity and corporate debt, real estate equity and real estate debt and infrastructure worldwide. We also provide asset management services to investments where Goldman Sachs has an interest. Consisting of over hundreds of professionals in six offices around the world, our business operates on a global platform.
- Equity Investing team invests in private equity, infrastructure as well as growth stage and technology companies. The group invests across a broad range of industries in the Americas, Europe and Asia seeking to maximize investment value through financial and operational value creation. MBD seeks long-term capital appreciation by committing equity to high quality companies with strong management. We seek to generate superior returns in a variety of situations, including leveraged buy-outs, recapitalizations, growth investments and stressed/distressed investments across a range of industries and geographies.
- Credit Investing associates work as part of small deal teams responsible for identifying, structuring, executing and monitoring corporate debt investments. Associates are involved in a wide range of high profile transactions across the capital structure and in a variety of industries in support of transactions that include leveraged buy-outs, take privates, add-on acquisitions and recapitalizations
- Real Estate team supports real estate investing across multiple product types across the US. This includes sourcing, underwriting and due diligence, acquisitions, asset management, construction and development oversight, financings and dispositions for the firm's real estate investments.
- Infrastructure manages three funds that invest globally in infrastructure opportunities in sectors such as energy, telecommunications and transportation. We seek to identify investment opportunities with potential for operational value creation and have developed an active approach to asset management
- Alternatives Capital Markets & Strategy (ACMS) is a firmwide group established in 2019 to oversee all institutional capital markets, capital raising, and strategy for alternative investments throughout Goldman Sachs. Engaging with both Goldman Sachs’ proprietary direct-investing programs and external managers’ open-architecture strategies, the ACMS Group centrally manages capital raising for all alternatives products and portfolio solutions for all institutional investors in alternatives, across private equity, credit, real estate, infrastructure, growth equity, secondaries, GP stakes, impact investing, and absolute-return strategies.
Executive Office Division is comprised of diverse businesses directly related to our corporate strategy, culture and brand. It includes corporate communications (internal communications, media relations and brand and content strategy), investor relations, government affairs, environmental markets and the office of corporate engagement. Our stakeholders include employees, shareholders, the media, policy makers, alumni and the general public.
- Firmwide Strategy reports to the firm’s Chief Strategy Officer, who is an ex-officio member of Management Committee and work with the Executive Office and senior divisional and business unit management to set and execute key strategic priorities for the firm. We develop, evaluate, and execute plans for new businesses and growth initiatives and leads strategic transactions, including joint ventures, acquisitions, and dispositions, on behalf of the firm.
- Investor Relations works closely with Goldman Sachs senior management to shape the firm’s external messaging for research analysts, debt and equity investors, proxy advisory firms, rating agencies and credit counterparts. This is a unique position that allows candidates to develop an Investment Banking valuation and modelling skill-set and Securities Division market perspective while gaining exposure to senior management, rating agencies, research analysts and key investors. Candidates will work directly with all members of the group across our debt and equity, corporate governance and rating agency teams
Private Wealth Management (PWM) secures, develops and manages relationships with high net worth individuals, their families, family offices and foundations. PWM assists clients with building and preserving their financial wealth by creating and implementing long-term asset allocation within the context of each client’s particular risk tolerance, and by providing access to innovative investment ideas and opportunities. PWM professionals develop customized investment strategies and offer a full array of wealth management products and services, including private banking and trust company services.
- Private Lending Underwriting (PLU), based in Dallas, TX, is primarily responsible for the underwriting of loans to GS Private Wealth Management (PWM) clients. In this capacity, PLU assesses, underwrites, documents and monitors the credit risk incurred in loan transactions. The underwriting process includes a thorough analysis of the collateral securing the loan (if any), which may include assets such as marketable securities, private equity/hedge funds, commercial real estate, aircraft, fine art, hobby properties, private company stock, yachts, etc.
Ayco, A Goldman Sachs Company partners with Fortune 1000 companies to design and implement tailored financial planning programs for their workforce—leveraging the 50-year heritage of Ayco and the comprehensive resources of Goldman Sachs to meet the evolving needs of their employees. Ayco believes companies best serve their stakeholders and the greater economy when their employees’ financial lives are clear, understood and in their control. Ayco advisors and technical specialists help clients achieve their personal financial goals through education and guided implementation across seven key financial disciplines, including employee benefit planning. Hiring teams include:
- Wealth Strategies Group specializes in the design and implementation of wealth protection and wealth transfer strategies for high net-worth clients.
- Private Wealth Management provides investment-advisory, education, portfolio-management and trade-execution strategies. Analysts serve as key liaison between clients, investment and operations teams.
Consumer externally known as Marcus by Goldman Sachs, is comprised of the firm’s digitally-led consumer businesses, which include our deposits and lending businesses, as well as our personal financial management app, Clarity Money. Consumer combines the strength and heritage of a 150-year-old financial institution with the agility and entrepreneurial spirit of a tech start-up. Through the use of machine learning and intuitive design, we provide customers with powerful tools that are grounded in value, transparency and simplicity to help them make smarter decisions about their money. Example teams seeking financial modelling/research skills:
- Credit Risk builds the credit strategy for a digital consumer lending business at Goldman Sachs
- Underwriting designs and continuously improves end-to-end underwriting processes, ensuring compliance with all regulatory laws
- Business Development / Partnerships is responsible for managing business development activity across Consumer business lines. These responsibilities include identifying and sizing partnership opportunities, assessing deal profitability and structuring for optimal economics, establishing and maintaining relationships with prospects, managing pitch processes and all elements of execution (i.e. modeling, deal structuring and negotiating).
- Bachelor’s degree (2017 – December 2020)
- 0-3 years of prior work experience in a relevant field.
- Proficient to advanced skills with MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Team player with positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong academic record with background in finance, economics, accounting or math preferred
- Experience with modelling and financial statements analysis
- Ability to process and analyze high volumes of information and proactively form and express independent judgements
- Commercially savvy with ability to exercise discretion with respect to highly confidential/sensitive information
- Some roles will require proficiency in R, Python, or similar for statistical modeling and analyzing time-series data