Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is an engineering discipline that combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. At Goldman Sachs, SRE is responsible for the availability and reliability of our firm's most critical platform services, and ensures they meet the requirements of our internal and external users.
As a Technical Project Manager (TPM) within SRE, you will need to be intimate with the execution plan for your projects, anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then develop processes to support the delivery of these in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
Responsibilities include working with GS Engineering teams to define strategy and requirements, forming an execution plan and supporting processes, identifying and securing commitment from dependency teams, driving consensus on the technical approach, setting timelines, and leading cross-functional development teams from design through delivery. You'll need to be a strong project manager with technical and business acumen, as well as being an excellent communicator -- whether working with engineers or providing updates to business leadership.
The ideal candidate is an influential technical leader with a knack for getting things done. Who is able separate what's important from what's urgent and find the best path forward from among multiple scenarios, earn the trust of stakeholders, and improve the efficiency of our cross-functional organization.
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
• Manage technology projects, defining milestones and success criteria, budget/resource allocation and successful on-time delivery
• Exercise technical judgment in working with large, cross-functional teams
• Deliver and implement tools and processes to improve engineering productivity and project transparency
• Communicate schedules, priorities, and status to all levels in the company
• Lead regular project status meetings while keeping all stakeholders aware of project and delivery status. Manage exceptions and communicate issues and risks to the rest of the program
• Interact with SRE partners and client technical stakeholders in order to translate complex requirements into recommendations for appropriate solution with reliability at the core
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
• BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding and / or systems engineering
• 5+ years of Technical Project Management experience in a technology oriented organization
• Demonstrated passion for understanding ambiguous, complex problems and driving high-quality, innovative, and robust technical solutions
• Exceptional stakeholder management and executive presentation skills
• Experience in successful delivery of complex, large-scale projects involving software development and infrastructure
• Working knowledge of project management toolkit such as JIRA, Microsoft Project or similar.
• Experience or certification in agile project delivery methodology
• Experience with distributed systems design, maintenance, and troubleshooting
• Hands-on experience with debugging and optimizing code, as well as automation
• Strong interpersonal skills, drive, and ownership
• Coding beyond simple script
• Solving novel problems from first principles
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Â© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2021. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.